PART TWOO: ENTERTAING AND EDUCATING TRUE LOVE STORIES.


From Marsh:
It was the beginning of Sophomore year in High School.  Three friends and I decided to go to a square dance with dates.  I was having trouble finding a date.  Then my mother suggested that I ask "M..A.."  I was hesitant to do so, because she was by far the smartest kid in the class, but it was getting close to the time for the dance, so I asked her.  She knew I had already asked almost every other girl in the class, but, fortunately, accepted.  We had so much fun that I never seriously dated another girl.  Eight years later, when she had finished her Masters Degree and I was still in graduate school, we were married.  This coming June will be our 54th wedding anniversary.  (Side note:  The four guys of us formed a club in high school and still get together once a year, even though we are scattered from Maine to California)
M and I had a wonderful life, raising three great kids, enjoying family trips, and then taking major trips all over the world, including 2 with our oldest daughter and her husband.  Four years ago our oldest daughter said she was concerned about her mother's memory, so we had tests done and confirmed the diagnosis of Alzheimer's.  One hard part of this is that in high school she had photographic memory. 
Our days of travel are now over.  I lost her once when she turned the wrong way coming out of the Ladies Room at the Philadelphia Airport.  At the insistence of our daughter, we have moved into a Retirement home, so I don't have to do so much cooking, cleaning, etc.  But we are still able to have fun together  - watching TV or Netflix movies, taking walks, talking with others in the Retirement home or our chuch.  She is still the same sweet girl I married.  She tells me frequently that she loves me and needs me, so I don't mind being the caregiver 24/7.  She tries to help me around the house, but makes so many mistakes that it's easier for me to do it myself.
I know I still have a rough road ahead, but we have our memories and pictures of all our trips.  Although our kids and other family members live far away from us, they are willing to come and help out once in a while so I can get away (as with my friends from high school).
As I read the problems others are having, I am thankful that my situation isn't worse.

From Renee:
Larry and I have been married almost 22 years. We met at his sister's home when I was visiting with my mother..I was ending a very abusive marriage and we found each other in what I call a God thing...
I had 2 boys - 2 and 3, was pregnant with my third child about 4 months along. We began to see each other after months. We were married a year later..
He has been the father of my children ever since. Taught them about being honest, about commitment, about unconditional love, as our oldest son said one day "oh mom what will we do when superman doesn't know who we are especially you momma"? Well, I told him I know he will always know in his heart who I am even if he is unsure of my face...Larry is going to be 54 this year and he is slipping in ways most people would not understand....But, we take each day and thank God that he gave us all these years.....We are buying the thing we planned to buy for our 25th anniversary now, as I figure he may not enjoy his HDTV flat screen latter.....We take little rides in the truck, eat subway sandwiches watching the river, and we watch the programs on TV that he is sure he has never seen, and I smile and say wasn't that a good one...
OK I figure that I will never know someone again who has loved me as much or as deep again. I have decided that when he is gone I will then take some trips we planned to do but he cannot now. He will be with me, he will be with our grandchildren when they are born in the future. He will be apart of the stories of how he saved our family and showed us that we were worth loving.

Post a Comment